You will need a Visa if you enter Indonesia for study either VITAS (Limited Stay Visa) or VKSB (Social Cultural Visit Visa) – in which you can obtain at the nearest Embassy or Consular Office of Indonesia in your country. We would NEVER recommend you to use the Visa on Arrival (VOA) which is only intended for those who are visiting Indonesia as tourists, NOT for those intending to live for an extended period of time because this kind of visa is not extendable.
A. VITAS (Limited Stay Visa for Education (Student) – Index C 316 )
You should apply VITAS index 316 if you intend to study in ITB for one semester or longer. The process of applying the VITAS takes 2 – 3 months before your arrival in Indonesia. This is because a Study Permit (Izin Studi) must be applied to DIKTI (the Directorate General of Higher Education of Indonesia – Jakarta) before you can apply for VITAS.
Three kinds of VITAS are valid for either:
- 6 months
- 12 months
- 24 months
The following are detailed documents you should prepare for Study Permit (SP) and VITAS:
- 1. A letter of Recommendation from the Vice Rector of Academic Affairs of ITB
- 2. Letter of Acceptance from ITB
- 3. An Academic Report/Transcript
- 4. A Curriculum Vitae/Resume
- 5. A letter of Declaration stating that you
- * will obey Indonesian rules and laws
- * will not involve in any work activities
- 6. A letter of Sponsorship or of Financial guarantee (if you self support)
- 7. Health Declaration/Report (signed by a medical doctor)
- 8. Insurance card
- 9. sufficient funds in total of USD 1.500 in the banking account to defray all expenses during your stay in Indonesia
- 10. A copy of valid Passport:
- * 12-month passport validity remaining to apply for a 6-month SP and KITAS (Limited Stay Permit Visa)
- * 18-month passport validity remaining to apply for a 12-month SP and KITAS
- * 30-month passport validity remaining to apply for a 24-month SP and KITAS
- (So, if your passport nearing expiration, we recommend that you have it renew to the maximum time allowable before you begin applying procedures.)
- 10. Four (4) pieces of passport-size photos (4 X 6) – red background
Please send all of the documents to the International Relations Office ITB in hardcopy or softcopy by email to
The International Relations Office (IRO) – ITB
Jl. Ganesha 17
The International Relations Office ITB will then process your Study Permit. Once the Study Permit is approved, the International Relations Office of ITB will then precede the VITAS application to the Immigration Office in Jakarta. When approved, the Immigration Office will send a telex of a letter of approval to the Indonesian Embassy or Consular Office in related countries, in which you can get the VITAS aforementioned.
B. VITAS (Limited Stay Visa for Training and Research – Index C 315 )
You should apply VITAS index 315 if you intend to conduct Research in ITB for one semester or longer. The process of applying the VITAS takes 2 – 3 months before your arrival in Indonesia. This is because a Research Permit (Izin Riset) must be applied to Ministry of Research Technology and Higher Education before you can apply for VITAS.
You can download the documents explaining detail procedure for Research Permit here.
C. VKSB (Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya – Social Cultural Visit Visa – Index B 211)
Another category of visit visa is VKSB (Visa Kunjungan Sosial Budaya – Social Cultural Visit Visa) – a visa for those coming to Indonesia for a short-term stays, not as tourists and not for business. This single entry visit visa refers to Index B-211 and is valid for 30 – 60 days. This type of Visa can be extended up to four times each valid for 30 days. It takes about maximum one week to obtain VKSB.
If you intend to stay for study at ITB for more than 6 (six) months but you have to enter Indonesia within less than 3 months, and hence you do not have enough time to apply VITAS, then you can apply VKSB.
Once you arrive in Indonesia, you have to immediately apply Study Permit and convert your VKSB into ITAS (Ijin Tinggal Terbatas – Limited Stay Permit) which will be valid for 1-2 years. During the conversion period (which might take about 2-3 months) you might have to extend your VKSB as necessary.
Requirements to obtain the Index B-211 Visa are as follows:
* A letter of acceptance which invites you to stay/study in Indonesia
* A visa application letter from ITB
* Your passport
* A couple of photos
* Application form (provided by the Visa Section of the Indonesian Embassy)
* Visa fee